The School was established in 1889 on property in Alexandra Road, opposite to where Sacred Heart Church stands today. The Sisters of St Joseph opened the school on 14 July 1889 led by Sister M Francis McCarthy. The original building was burnt down in 1962. The north-facing wing of the present school in Buttons Avenue was opened in February 1967.

The Sisters of St Joseph operated the school for over 100 years. The last Josephite principal to lead the School was Sister Tess Ransom. Current Principal, Mrs Michelle Wootton, commenced in January 2015.

The School has undergone extensive refurbishment in recent years to improve the facilities offered to families. 

In 2000/2001 the school underwent extensive refurbishing. Classrooms were updated and a new administration area was added to the existing building. The exterior of the building facing Buttons Avenue was given a face-lift. The car park, paths and lawns were all improved, enhancing the school setting.  

As part of the Commonwealth Government’s Building the Education Revolution (2009 – 2011) major renovations were undertaken across the school. These were formally opened by Mr Sid Sidebottom MHR and blessed by Vicar General Fr Mark Freeman on 11 August 2011.

During 2015 the school underwent an extensive refurbishment. This included the renovation and alterations of five new classrooms and the administration area.  

The School celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2014.